When spending time in a hospital for any reason, the type of care that
will be provided is usually not at the top of mind. Most assume they are
in good hands.
While that is true in most cases, the reality is that a stay in a hospital
can lead to additional illness or injuries that are the result of negligence
or some type of medical mistake. However, there may be ways to avoid this.
Here are 5 ways to avoid being the victim of medical malpractice in a hospital:
- choose a hospital that is known for treating your condition or performing
the procedure that you require;
- ask those who are caring for you if they have washed their hands (while
it may sound too direct, it could avoid the spread of infection);
- before undergoing a surgical procedure, make sure that you and the surgeon
are clear on the details of what will be done (may prevent surgery on
the wrong site);
- speak up if you have questions, concerns, or don’t understand something; and
- before you are discharged, make sure you understand the follow-up care
plan, including any medicines you will take.
You have the right to ask questions and take control of your care when
you are spending time in a hospital. It could even prevent a serious medical mistake.
Consulting with a Cleveland Medical Malpractice Lawyer
The decision to pursue a medical malpractice claim can be difficult, but
we can help!
Contact the Cleveland medical malpractice team at Mellino Law Firm at (440) 333-3800.