Personal injury claims after an accident can be confusing and time-consuming. A Cleveland attorney may be able to help you through the process of filing an Ohio personal injury claim to recover compensation for your injuries and damages. A Cleveland personal injury lawyer will probably recommend that you take certain steps to protect your claim and increase your odds of winning the case.
What can I do to protect my Ohio personal injury claim?
- Seek medical attention – even if you do not feel that you were injured in an accident it is important to see a doctor anyway. You should have your medical condition assessed before making any personal injury claims. A Cleveland attorney will tell you that it is hard to support a case for Ohio personal injury if you have not seen a doctor.
- File a police report – after a car accident you should call the police to visit the scene and file a report, even if there are no injuries or little damage. Having a police report filed means you will have hard copy records of important information including contact information of those involved and an account of what happened. Give these records to your Cleveland attorney for later use.
- Be careful what you say – while it’s probably necessary to communicate with the other driver or drivers at the scene of an accident, use discretion. You don’t want to hurt your Ohio personal injury claim by saying something that could be taken out of context and used against you later. Keep talking to a minimum and do not admit fault.
- Keep accurate records – keep copies of all medical bills, insurance documents and property damage receipts, and log the time you have missed from work. Doing this will make it easier for your Cleveland personal injury lawyer to support your case.
- Limit exchanges with the insurance company – after an accident you can expect a call from the insurance company asking about your personal injury claims. It is best to refer the insurance adjuster to your Cleveland attorney instead of answering any questions or accepting a settlement. These companies will often try to get you to admit to something you did not do or offer you an inadequate settlement.
- Do not sign anything without your Cleveland personal injury lawyer’s consent – if you are unsure about signing a form from the insurance company or do not understand what it means, don’t sign it. Let your Cleveland attorney look at any documents before you sign them.
- Remember deadlines – the state may have limits on how long you have to file an Ohio personal injury claim so make sure you contact a Cleveland attorney specializing in personal injury claims as soon as possible after your accident to make sure you don’t miss out on your chance for compensation.
- Don’t try to settle your claim alone – the legal process of filing personal injury claims can be complex. If you do not understand how to file a claim on your own or need assistance it is best to hire a Cleveland personal injury lawyer who is familiar with Ohio personal injury laws and processes. This way you can leave the hard stuff up to your Cleveland attorney and focus on getting better and healing from your injuries.
Don’t be intimidated by personal injury claims. By following these tips you can help ensure that your Ohio personal injury claim will be protected and that you have taken the right steps to support your case and therefore increasing your odds of recovering the compensation you deserve for your injuries and damages.
Help From a Cleveland Personal Injury Lawyer
If you have suffered severe injury or have lost a loved one in an accident in Cleveland, it is important that you act quickly to protect your rights. The Cleveland injury lawyer team at Mellino Law Firm LLC offers specialized medical knowledge, exceptional trial skills and superior negotiating talent in pursuit of fair compensation for our clients. Want to learn more about how we can help you? Contact us today for a free consultation by calling (440) 333-3800.