Many problems and complications can arise from a plastic surgery procedure,
but the most devastating accidents that can occur are ones that leave
an innocent patient disfigured for life. If your doctor was not trained
or certified properly or behaved in a negligent manner, you could pay
the price with an injury or a permanent disfigurement.
Common types of disfigurement that can occur during a plastic surgery procedure
include the following:
- Changes in the texture of the skin where the surgery was performed such
as dimples, scars, puckering and irregular color;
- Asymmetry in the breasts, eyes, ears or buttocks;
- Loss of ability to control muscles in the face;
- Sagging or ripping of the skin; and
- Fluid accumulation under the skin causing swelling.
To help avoid being disfigured during a plastic surgery procedure, it is
important to choose a doctor who has been certified by the American Board
of Plastic Surgery (ABPS). If you feel that your doctor is not treating
you properly, or you have been the victim of medical malpractice, you
may have grounds to file a claim for compensation.